We were engaged to produce designs for a replacement kitchen, office and boot room addition to a Grade II listed former rectory in Suffolk. The new work would replace unsympathetic accommodation added during the 1950’s. We prepared a heritage appraisal which highlighted the importance of the site and setting, as well as areas of the house which were of little or no historical interest and therefore expendable.
Our replacement kitchen and office addition took inspiration from a (demolished) late Georgian single storey wing, and adopted a subtle classical appearance. Locating the addition well back from the main façade ensured the work was subservient to the original house.
In addition to this we also designed a coach house and staff flat, pool house and an ‘eye catcher’ within the park.
Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent were obtained during spring 2013. The project is now complete.