At the heart of a Hampshire estate sits a country house, built during the late nineteenth century in neo-Jacobean style. Surrounding this is a fine range of contemporary ancillary buildings constructed in matching style. However, during the 1930’s, when high Victorian design was unfashionable and the suits of rooms unmanageable, the main house was ‘tamed’ - ornament was stripped, a sizeable guest wing removed and an attached stone orangery demolished.
Our brief was to design a replacement orangery, which would command the parterre and provide a link between the house and the extensive terraces. The structure was to sit on the approximate site of the former orangery, with the main room positioned to take in the spectacular open views across parkland.
We decided that the new orangery should pay stylistic homage to the main house before it was remodelled, and in doing so this would return some neo-Jacobean detailing to the site, as well as complementing the late Victorian stable block close by. The configuration of the glazing arrangement required differing design options to be explored, and further watercolour studies were prepared for the baroque door case facing the approach drive.
The result is an elevated, assured and lively design, appropriate to both the landscape and the character of this late Victorian country estate.